Book Review: Choosing Forgiveness


I've been reading some really good books recently and thought that I'd share the things that I learnt from them. I'm going to try to do regular book review posts here in the future:)

I saw this book and immediately thought that it was something I needed. Forgiveness is something that I have chosen to do many times in my life but there is a lot more about it that I want to understand. For instance, does forgiveness mean that I have to forget the wrong and act as if nothing happened even if the person isn't repentant? Does it mean that I shouldn't try to protect myself from further hurt? Does it mean that I will no longer feel any anger towards the person? Does it mean that the hurt I feel will go away?

Well, I actually haven't finished reading this book so I haven't found all the answers but I LOVE this book so far. Nancy Leigh Demoss is to the point - no matter what, you MUST forgive. But she also writes from her heart, out of concern for the reader and I can feel her love.

So, one thing that has really helped me is her answering this question: Why would God ask us to do such a difficult thing? (referring to forgiveness)

  • because God has promised to forgive all our sins. (Psalm 103:12)
  • we can forgive others because God has forgiven us.
  • God is not commanding us to do something that He will not enable us to do. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
  • when we forgive, we are promising to never bring up that sin against that person again - not to God, not to anyone else.
  • even when I cannot see the results of my forgiveness, I can still know that I've done what God requires of me.

"To be a Christian is to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in us." - C.S. Lewis

These are some important truths about forgiveness that have really helped me. This is a great book for everyone whether you think you need it or not. To be forewarned is to be forearmed. You can order the book here.

Is there someone in your life that you need to choose to forgive today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...